Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Aquatic Ruin Zone (アクアティックルーイン Akuatikku Rūin?, lit. "Aquatic Ruin") is the third Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. As with most other stages in this game, Aquatic Ruin Zone consists of two standard Acts with a boss fight at the end of Act 2.
This Zone sports a couple of main terrain features that make it unique compared to the others. Water, for one; the movement speed underwater is much slower, so be prepared. Like with the Mega Mack from Chemical Plant Zone, if the player stays underwater for too long, Sonic will eventually drown. To avoid drowning, stand near a small pile of Air Bubbles on the ground and wait for a big bubble to rise. There are also alternate paths on the surface to avoid the water altogether.
The ancient stone pillars that lie dotted around Aquatic Ruin will rise up when the playable characters approach them and they must jump on them to destroy them. Aside from the underwater sections, the other main obstacles are pillars with Dr. Robotnik's face embedded on them. Their eyes will flash red when the player approaches them and after passing them, they will fire an arrow that flies horizontally and are usually dangerous in large numbers.
The boss here has totem poles that rise up from the ground. Dr. Robotnik will then float above the poles and hit them in an alternating pattern with his hammer, causing the totems to fire an arrow. Once this arrow hits the other pole, you must jump on the arrow and hit the Egg Mobile.
In other media
Sonic the Comic
In the Sonic the Comic series and its spin-offs published by Fleetway Editions, Aquatic Ruin Zone is a Zone on Mobius. Originally, it was an outpost created by the Drakon Empire millennia ago that was eventually abandoned and sunk into the local bodies of water. In the present day, Sonic once came to this Zone on a mission where he ended up awakening and destroying a Sentinel. Tails would later come to this Zone to destroy the Spider-Moth.
- Several totem poles from the Aquatic Ruins (specifically during the boss battle) makes a cameo in Sonic Universe #53 during the Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man comic crossover event, Worlds Collide. It appears in the Skull Egg Zone while Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Miles "Tails" Prower, and Rush explore the zone to find the two remaining Roboticized Masters, which are Knuckles Man and Rose Woman.
- In various preview magazines back in 1992, Aquatic Ruin Zone was named Neo Green Hill Zone (a name later used for the first Zone in Sonic Advance). This may have some connection to the concept that Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was, in its early planning Zones, intended to have time travel like Sonic the Hedgehog CD.
- In the children's books published by Ladybird, such as Robotnik's Oil and Sonic the Hedgehog Adventure Gamebook 1, this Zone was called Aquatic Ruins Zone instead of Aquatic Ruin Zone.
- The boss for this Zone can be challenging when playing as Knuckles, as he cannot jump as high as Sonic or Tails.
- In the Simon Wai prototype, the Zone's music plays differently compared to the final.
- Aquatic Ruin Zone's boss is teased in Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode II. In the boss level of Sylvania Castle Zone, Dr. Eggman will bring up two pillars similar to the ones used in the Aquatic Ruins Zone boss battle. However, Eggman will destroy them before the battle starts.
- In the 2013 mobile remaster of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, a misplaced level tile with no collision can be found in the upper area of Aquatic Ruin Zone, viewable by using Tails or Debug Mode.
|Aquatic Ruin Zone||1:40||Masato Nakamura|