Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Angel Island Zone (エンジェルアイランド Enjeruairando?, lit. "Angel Island") is the first Zone of Sonic the Hedgehog 3, and the lock-on game Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles. It is a tropical jungle located near the coast of the Floating Island. As with other Zones in Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Angel Island Zone is divided into two Acts, with a boss battle at the end of them.
Angel Island Zone is a large jungle system located near the coast of the Floating Island. Having been compared to a tropical paradise, the area is full of greenery, with exotic plants and palm trees decorating it. There are also many waterfalls and water pools. Unstable wooden bridges and large trees are present as well.
With Tails having detected strange energy readings coming from the Floating Island with his Jewel Radar, Sonic traveled to the island with Tails, with Angel Island Zone being their first designated destination. Upon approaching the island, Sonic used the Chaos Emeralds he had collected earlier to turn into Super Sonic and storm the island, only to get knocked out of his Super State by a cheap shot from Knuckles the Echidna, the guardian of the Floating Island, who subsequently stole the Emeralds and ran off.
Making their way through the Zone, Sonic and Tails witnessed Dr. Robotnik's Fire Breaths settling Angel Island Zone on fire with a barrage of fire bombs. After destroying one of the Fire Breaths, they found Robotnik's Flying Battery blimp trying (in vain) to stop them, and shortly afterward, they had a showdown with the doctor himself in his own Egg Scorcher Mk III. After defeating him, the heroes found Knuckles again, who triggered a trap that sent them plummeting into Hydrocity Zone.
Much later, Knuckles was resting in Angel Island Zone when he was attacked by an EggRobo, who dropped a bomb on him. Thanks to his toughness or sheer luck though, Knuckles survived this. Infuriated, he made his way through the Zone, where he witnessed Dr. Robotnik's Fire Breaths settling the area on fire once again. After destroying a Fire Breath, he found the Flying Battery blimp trying to stop him. Afterward, he found the EggRobo that attacked him earlier in the Egg Scorcher Mk III. After defeating the robot, Knuckles went to Hydrocity Zone.
Act 1 is less linear than the first half, having many alternate paths that feature more secrets than others. There is also a giant tree trunk, which the player can only pass through if they build up enough speed. After the Fire Breaths set Angel Island Zone on fire, the Act will become more straightforward. Act 2 features more platforming and makes use of simple puzzles involving switches. It is also common to find tunnels in this Act.
Angel Island Zone Act 1 is the first Act in the game, and as such the easiest. Most alternative routes at the start of it are located in the top part of the Act, and are as such needed to be reached through basic platforming, sometimes rewarding the player with monitors. The bottom sections, on the other hand, are more straightforward and shorter. They also feature more enemies and less secrets.
Later through the Act, the player will run through the inside of a giant tree trunk to find many Fire Breaths settling the Zone on fire via a rain of fire bombs. From this point on, the Act will be more straightforward, though with a few secrets. Eventually, the player will be taken to the bottom part of the Act for then later to go to the top part of it. There, they will fight a Fire Breath and finish the Act.
As Knuckles, Angel Island Zone Act 1 remains mostly the same, though towards the end of the act, Knuckles cannot finish the act it in the same way as Sonic or Tails due to his lower jumps. Instead, Knuckles will have to take a path sealed by stone pillars exclusively for him, which leads him to his version of the Fire Breath fight.
In Sonic and Tails' version of Angel Island Zone Act 2 is similar to Act 1. Water pools are more prominent here than in the previous Act. Sometimes, the player also has to use switches to open paths. At the end of the Act, the player will find the Flying Battery blimp trying to attack them, launching missiles that are harmful for the playable character. Afterward, they will spot Dr. Robotnik in his Egg Scorcher Mk III in the background, whom they will later fight at the end of the Act.
As Knuckles, Angel Island Zone Act 2 is an entirely different level with some sections requiring Knuckles to glide and climb up walls to proceed. Unlike Sonic and Tails, Knuckles does not encounter the Flying Battery blimp along the path leading to the fight against Robotnik's Egg Scorcher Mk III.
The sub-boss of Angel Island Zone is Fire Breath, a hovering robot that is equipped with a flamethrower and rocket launchers. It needs to be hit six times to be destroyed.
The boss of Angel Island Zone is the Egg Scorcher Mk III, a modified Egg Mobile equipped with two cannon-like weapons that shoot fireballs across the arena. The player needs to hit the Egg Scorcher Mk III eight times to destroy it.
Giant Ring locations
- Instead of going to the right at the first set of vines, the player should go down and to the left. The player must Spin Dash into the wall there to find the Giant Ring. Watch out for the Monkey Dude in the tree before breaking through the rock to the Giant Ring.
- After the Fire Breaths bombard the island, the player must go down into the gap by the springs and then spin dash into the left wall. They must then take the red Spring, break the top and fall back down, and a Giant Ring will pop up.
- At the start of the Sonic/Tails path, the player should slide into the Ring's room.
- After the switch that lowers the water in the Sonic/Tails path, the player must go down both flipping platform sets. They should continue until the characters hit the two disappearing platforms. The player must then go into the water and Spin Dash up the right wall while holding right to find the Ring.
Other game appearances
Sonic Jam (Game.com)
- There is a glitch in Act 1 which causes its music to change to the Act 2 music after the completion of a Special Stage or a Bonus Stage, but this only happens after the area is set ablaze. This was partially fixed in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, where the Act 2 music would only play after the completion of a Bonus Stage.
- A remixed version of the music from this Zone was composed by Jun Senoue for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and was also used in the True Blue: The Best of Sonic the Hedgehog album, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The remixed version in Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the only remixed Sonic song in the series.
- Additionally, the retro version is used in Nintendo 3DS version of Sonic Generations, while the remixed version from Super Smash Bros. Brawl appears in the Wii versions of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games and Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
- When moving on to Act 2, the player still has access to a large portion of Act 1 after accessing a Star Post or a Bonus/Special Stage.
- After defeating the Act 2 boss, when Knuckles destroys the bridge, Sonic or Tails can jump off just as it falls apart and roam around on the ledge where the boss battle was fought. Additionally, Tails can fly on the platform where Knuckles is standing. In co-op mode, it is possible for him to carry Sonic up to this area as well. Knuckles' theme music repeatedly plays, and Knuckles just stands there laughing. The Zone does not end until Sonic or Tails falls down either of the two gaps where the bridges were and into Hydrocity Zone.
- High-end figure company, First 4 Figures, produced a diorama statue based on the Zone. It features Tails flying and lifting Sonic, with Spikes and a RhinoBot in the scenery. It comes in three editions; regular, exclusive and Tropical Jungle. The regular and exclusive versions depict the Zone on fire.
- An alternate version of the Sonic the Hedgehog 3 intro featured Sonic surfing onto the island, which was replaced in favor of Knuckles knocking the Chaos Emeralds from Super Sonic. The Sonic surfing sprites can be viewed in Debug Mode.
- When playing as Knuckles, one can see the sky in some parts of the background in Act 1, where when playing as Sonic and/or Tails the player could see the ocean. This suggests that Knuckles' story takes place after Sonic and/or Tails' version.
- The music for Act 1 was remixed as the music for Neo South Island Zone Act 2 in Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure. Meanwhile, the music for Act 2 was remixed as the music for Secret Plant Zone Act 1 in the same game.
|"Angel Island - Act 1"||Sega||Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles||2:21|
|Sonic & Knuckles Collection||"FM Synthesizer"||2:10|
|"Angel Island Zone (Act 2)"||Sega||Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles||2:17|
|Sonic & Knuckles Collection||"FM Synthesizer"||2:08|