"A Metarex Melée" is the sixty-fourth episode of the anime series, Sonic X. It first aired on 23 March 2005 and 26 November 2005 in France and the United States respectively.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Rouge the Bat
- Amy Rose
- Cream the Rabbit
- Christopher Thorndyke
- Doctor Eggman
- "Gotta Go Fast" - Opening theme (USA and CAN)
- "Sonic X" - Opening theme (AUS, NZ and UK)
- "Gotta Go Fast" (shortened) - Closing theme
The fight between Sonic and Dark Oak starts. Sonic directly attacks Dark Oak, but he instantly disappears: it was a hologram. Outside the fortress, a Metarex armada, led by Red Pine, is approaching. Surprisingly, the Red Pine army begins to attack their own fortress, while there still are Metarex inside. Shadow, Rouge, and Chris are transported, via Chaos Control, inside the Crimson Egg. Chris finds a way to steal the emeralds found by Eggman and flees away by using one of Eggman's mini-ships. Shadow follows him and he stops him. Rouge grabs Chris and asks him to give her the emeralds. Chris refuses and Rouge drops him. Knuckles, who's having trouble with piloting the X-Tornado, rescues Chris. Chris, Knuckles, Shadow and Rouge arrive to the fight ground.
The seven Chaos Emeralds are put together, transforming Sonic and Shadow into their super forms. Super Sonic and Super Shadow engage in a fight inside the fortress. At the same moment, a gravitational field is activated inside the fortress and it starts to destroy itself from the inside. The Metarex armada is destroyed, Super Shadow sends the Crimson Egg away with Chaos Control and the Blue Typhoon escapes with the power of the Master Emerald. However, during the event, the seven Chaos Emeralds disappeared.
- The English dub immediately begins with Sonic facing Dark Oak. This cuts out the recap with Tails establishing that the Chaos Emeralds can be evolved in concentrated crystals to provide life for the planets and Dark Oak cornering Sonic, Amy, and Cosmo.
- Sonic mentioning that he knows Dark Oak was cut from the dub.
- A five-second scene of Cosmo looking at Dark Oak with quivering eyes as she pleads him to stop his actions is cut from the dub.
- The Meterax made grunts of pain when attacked, but they were silent in the English dub.
- As Sonic and the girls are surrounded by Meterax, Dark Oak mentions "This fortress will be your graveyard." In the dub, he simply gives an evil laugh.
- A two second shot of Meterax approaching the trio is cut in the dub.
- For unknown reasons, the Blue Typhoon's missiles getting destroyed by lasers, followed by Tails telling Cream to reactivate the shield was cut in the dub.
- A short scene of Decoe, Bocoe, and Bokkun questioning why Chris is on The Crimson Egg is cut from the dub.
- The scene of all the Meterax and Sonic leaping towards each other is cut in the dub.
- The flashback Chris has of Shadow has a vintage effect added on it in the dub.
- A six-second shot of Tails proclaiming he must survive the attack for the sake of his friends is cut in the dub.
- A shot of Rouge watching Sonic and Shadow transform is cut from the dub.
- Sonic (as Super Sonic) states in the dub that everyone knows Shadow is just doing orders for Eggman again, causing Shadow to attack. Originally, he told Shadow "You're no ultimate life form!" after stating Shadow's intentions.
- The explosion sounds during Sonic and Shadow's battle are different in the dub.
- Just as Super Sonic and Super Shadow appeared outside the fortress as the gravitational is formed, Super Shadow's muzzle turned the same color as his fur for the duration of the whole scene.
Title in other languages
|Japanese||激突！ソニックvsシャドウ||Clash! Sonic vs Shadow|
|French||Sonic contre Shadow||Sonic against Shadow|
|German||Das Metarex Durcheinander||The Metarex mess|
|Italian||Chiusura definitiva||Permanent Closure|
|Spanish||¡Confrontación! Sonic contra Shadow||Confrontation! Sonic against Shadow|
|Polish||Sonic kontra Shadow||Sonic versus Shadow|
|Russian||Столкновение! Соник против Шэдоу||Clash! Sonic versus Shadow|
- The Japanese version of this episode shares a similar title with Cracking Knuckles. (This episode's title translates as "Clash! Sonic vs. Shadow" while Cracking Knuckles' Japanese title translates as "Clash! Sonic vs. Knuckles".)