"A Fearless Friend" (君のためにできること Kimi no Tame ni Dekiru Koto?, lit. "I Can Do It for Your Sake") is the seventy-seventh episode of the anime series, Sonic X. It first aired on 17 April 2005 and 29 April 2006 in France and the United States respectively.
- "Gotta Go Fast" - Opening theme (USA and CAN)
- "Sonic X" - Opening theme (AUS, NZ and UK)
- "Gotta Go Fast" (shortened) - Closing theme
When the giant Metarex seed, Final Mova, finally reaches the final stage of its metamorphosis, its starts sucking the life out of everyone except for Cosmo, due to the fact that she and the Metarex come from the same race. She sets off with the Chaos Emeralds in her hands and decides to give them to Dr. Eggman, who she believes that he may have an idea to restore the emeralds' power. Dark Oak suddenly attacks Cosmo, who drops the Chaos Emeralds into space. Thankfully, the Planet Egg responds to the Chaos Emeralds and the Chaos Emeralds' power is restored again.
Sonic and Shadow, who use them to transform into Super Sonic and Super Shadow, attack Final Mova. Final Mova emits a powerful gravitational field that neither Super Sonic or Super Shadow can penetrate. Watching from the Blue Typhoon, Cosmo feels helpless but her mother, in her mind, assures her that she is destined who will save the galaxy. Her red amulet breaks and then she transforms into a new form, now with the determination to stop this threat once and for all. She flies over to Final Mova, passing and dissipating the gravitational force field and plants herself on top of it. She then becomes a tree, saying that she has now immobilized Dark Oak. She tells Tails to load and fire the Sonic Power Cannon and shoot it at the planet.
Initially, everyone is shocked and cannot come to a final decision whether or not to risk saving the galaxy if they're going to kill Cosmo in the process, especially Tails. The fox is very hesitant to shoot his friend, but Dr. Eggman reassures Tails about the destiny that the Seedrians have placed in Cosmo: to save the galaxy from the universe. He then thinks back to all of the strong memories they've had during their intergalactic adventure. Finally, Tails comes to terms with his feelings and after saying a calm "goodbye", he presses the button and fires Super Sonic and Super Shadow out from the cannon at the planet, completely destroying it, including Cosmo, much to everyone's sadness.
- It is apparent that the Japanese version retained far more emotional depth, seen when Tails, on the verge of pressing the fire button of the Sonic Driver, instead slams his head on the control panel and begins crying hysterically. This scene is substantially cut down in the English version for unknown reasons. When Tails finally manages to press the button, the Japanese version portrays him in a deep state of distress and sadness, epitomized when he screams in horror when the Sonic Power Cannon beam strikes the Final Mova. The English version shows him in a more relaxed and accepting composure, even going so far as to say a calm "goodbye" to Cosmo as he presses the button.
- In addition, "The Shining Road" plays when Super Sonic and Super Shadow kill Cosmo with her blessing to reflect the romantic relationship Tails and Cosmo had. In the American version however, action music is played to emphasize the action aspects of the scene rather than the emotional aspects, which were toned down. This video can be found here with Tails crying, sad music and a sad ending featured in a YouTube user named gwcumi94. Watch here. (Note: if you are sad about the music then don't watch it.