"A Date to Forget" is the forty-second episode of the anime series, Sonic X, as well as the first episode in the Emerl Saga. It first aired on 18 January 2004 and 29 January 2005 in Japan and the United States respectively.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Amy Rose
- Cream the Rabbit
- Vanilla the Rabbit (cameo)
- Emerl (first appearance)
- Christopher Thorndyke
- Sam Speed
- Doctor Eggman
- Bobbie Joe (only appearance)
- Bobbie Joe's grandfather (only appearance)
- "Gotta Go Fast" - Opening theme (USA and CAN)
- "Sonic X" - Opening theme (AUS, NZ and UK)
- "Gotta Go Fast" (shortened) - Closing theme
Amy becomes angry and upset when Sonic forgets to show up for their date, and she goes out with Sam Speed instead, who also had plans with Sonic. Bokkun, left to free Eggman from jail, activates an old robot named Emerl under the instructions of Dr. Eggman to aid him spring Eggman from jail. Sonic is forced to take on Bokkun, while Amy and Sam battle one of Eggman's robots. Amy learns why Sonic likes to run so much, and they soon arrive at the beach. Sonic, who defeated Bokkun, shows up and races Sam again. In the end, Cream and Cheese find Emerl in the garden.
- Emerl is renamed Emel in the English dub due to an error in translation.
- In the Japanese version, Amy threatened to hurt Chris if Sonic did not come out. But in the English dub, she accuses him of hiding Sonic from her.
- A seven second shot of Amy releasing Chris from a chokehold and him reacting in pain was cut from the dub.
- A shot of Sam Speed speaking was edited in the dub.
- The text on the store's posters were erased in the dub.
- The old man's grandson's name is changed from Steven to Bobbie Joe in the English dub.
- A seventy five second scene of Sam and Amy out for a drive was cut from the dub.
- When Amy and Sam encounter Eggman's robot, Amy stands up at various points and gets out of her seat various times. In the English dub, she remains in her seat.
- "SONIC DRIVE" was replaced with generic action music in the dub.
Title in other languages
|Japanese||エミー愛の逃避行！?||Amy's Love Escape Journey!?|
|French||Un beau lapin||A beautiful date|
|German||Das geplatzte Date||The ruptured date|
|Italian||Un appuntamento da dimenticare / La super velocità||A date to forget / The super speed|
|Spanish||¡¿La partida por amor de Amy?!||The game for the love of Amy ?!|
|Russian||Эми: Бегство от любви!?||Amy: Getaway from love!?|