- A new mode called "Ring Keeper" where the player starts each Act with ten Rings and only loses half their Rings when hit.
- Stereoscopic 3D.
- The 2-player VS. and co-op of this port is utilized with wireless co-op play.
- A screen filter for emulating the visuals of old-fashion television sets.
- Customizable controls of the player's choosing.
- Different sound options.
- Options to play in Japanese (Rev. 01) or International (Rev. 00) modes.
- Save states were added.
- A new mode called "Super Sonic Mode" that is unlocked after beating the game once. Here, the player starts with all Chaos Emeralds unlocked, allowing Super Sonic to be playable from the start. and gives the player fifty Rings at the beginning of each Act.
- Initiating the main menu's "Stage Select" feature will automatically activate Level Select without the player having to enter its associated cheat code.
|Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives 3: Final Stage||Nintendo 3DS||Released in 2016 as a compilation with other Sega titles.|
|Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog 2||Nintendo Switch||Released in 2020 as a part of the Sega Ages series for the Nintendo Switch, a follow-up to the 3D Classics series.|
- 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 releases on July 22nd in Japan for the 3DS eShop. Sonic Stadium (15 July 2015). Retrieved on 18 September 2015.
- 3D Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Joins Sega’s Other 3D Classics On October 8. Siliconera (28 September 2015). Retrieved on 29 September 2015.
- 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Trailer & Details Released (16 July 2015). Retrieved on 18 September 2015.
- 3rd set of Sega 3D Classics coming to Nintendo 3DS, including Sonic 2!. Sonic Stadium (14 April 2015). Retrieved on 18 September 2015.